Thursday 26 July 2012

Making Connections to Make Your Life Easier

Making connections is the key between a lame or awesome university experience. What am I talking about?


It is very important to build strong relationships that will make your life easier and more enjoyable. Life is a lot easier when you can call your friends for anything and you know that they have your back.  Here's some example from my experience at York:

1. I met a bunch of friends during Frosh Week in my first year. Unfortunately, I used to have to travel from Scarborough to York three days a week. A few times I had to drop off essays last minute but instead of coming all the way to York and then going back home, I would email it to one of my friends that lived on campus and asked her to hand it in for me. It would save me three hours of commuting! So awesome!

2. When I was a frosh boss for Atkinson in my second year, I worked my butt off to ensure that it was a fun week. I was privileged to have an amazing bunch of student leaders to work with. Later on in the year, one of the other bosses asked me if I wanted a job on campus. He offered it to me because he knew I had a strong work ethic during frosh week and knew that I was someone who would "get er done". My buddy hooked me up with a promoting job at the Student Centre. It was great to make a little extra money on the side. Networking is key my friends!

3. Friends from class could aid your academics and even save your life! Many times throughout my university career, I had to rely on friends for academic help. What do I mean? I'm talking about missing class and needing the notes to study for an upcoming exam. Your friends in class could hook you up with them. But what about needing a study buddy? Last year, I had a bunch of student leader friends in the same class. We would get together the night before our exams and would review, study, and test each other. We all got really good grades, had fun, and supported each other through the stressful experience.

4. Getting involved and getting to know people will allow you to stay informed in all the amazing events and deals on campus. I met a few people in my classes who weren't really involved with campus events or aware of trips like Montreal. I would inform them in class and once they heard, they would be calling me all the time about the deals going on.

Morale of the story, make things easier on yourself and make some connections. Networking is key!

- Mike

0 comments:

Post a Comment