Tuesday 22 May 2012

NEW TO YORKU? LOST? FEELING OVERWHELMED?

NEW TO YORKU? LOST? FEELING OVERWHELMED?


Don't be scared! You're probably feeling the exact same emotions as the person next to you. Even though I consider myself to be a social person, I was still scared on my first day on campus. What saved my life, and what made me feel EXTREMELY welcomed was Frosh Week with my college, Atkinson College (now called New College). On my first day of Frosh Week, I met one of my frosh bosses, Felicia, and she was AMAZING! The first thing she said was, "What's your name?" then she was like, "HEY EVERYONE, THIS IS MIKE! SAY HI MIKE!". It was at that very moment when I knew I made the right choice to go to York (I mean who would want to go to UofT or Ryerson anyway LOL). Frosh Week made me feel right at home and I'm forever grateful for it.  

My Frosh Week was amazing! I got to meet a whole bunch of new friends and went wild with all the different activities. I remember going to Canada's Wonderland and riding the Xtreme Skyflyer with my frosh bosses. It was epic! We went to a Toronto Blue Jays game and I painted my face blue for a cheer off. Afterwards, I was selected to go on the field and do the 7th inning stretch for my College, which was a once in a life time experience. We also had a water fight that was four colleges vs four colleges in the middle of Vanier Field. It was almost like a Spartan war with water balloons. I've never had so much fun in my life. I wish I could go back and do it again and again. 

So the main point that I would like to make is that there is nothing to fear. If you need help or are unsure of something, just ask. Everyone is really nice on campus and there are many people here to help you including students, faculty, and staff (We got your back). I highly recommend Frosh Week, even if you're shy because it is so amazing and you will make sooo sooo sooo many friends. And if you don't think Frosh Week is for you, there are other people to assist you. 

Such as: 

- Student Community and Leadership Development, (I love these people, shout outs to Jair, Mike, Ian, Catherine, and all my other homies)
(416)736-5144Ross S172

- College Councils, http://colleges.yorku.ca/, ( They are amazing! Their events are so cheap!)

- Student Clubs, http://yuconnect.yorku.ca/ (Theres so many to choose from!)

- Counselling and Disability Services, http://www.yorku.ca/cds/ (Free and useful services)

- Atkinson Centre for Mature and Part-Time Students, http://www.yorku.ca/acmaps/ (Awesome free services)


- and soooo much more, OHHH YEAHHH

3 comments:

This comment has been removed by the author.

This just brought me back to my Frosh Week days too! I am so glad I was able to get involved! When we drove up to Winters, they started screaming and shouting my name too! My mom told me that she thought I was in the right place for sure! :)

This explains so much about you! I can totally see your frosh spirit, and you never let it die! Keep it real, Cannon ;)

Post a Comment