Wednesday 8 February 2012

Once In A Life Time Experiences as a Student Leader

My fourth and fifth years were the greatest of my life and I knew that I had made the right decision in choosing York. Why? Because I became even more involved in my College life. I became Vice-President and later President of McLaughlin College Students' Council. In these roles, I was able to work with a fantastic group of students to put on events, sports, and activities that brought a lot of fun and life to the university. We did trips to Montreal ($100), Niagara Falls ($25), Blue Mountain ($25), Canada's Wonderland and much more for dirt cheap prices. We were able to create an amazing frosh week which included: a large carnival; trip to Wasaga Beach; alcohol and inclusivity training; a Blue Jays game; team building exercises; a campus tour; a football game; dance parties; dozens of free meals and much more. Throughout the year, we also did paintball for $2, free coffee houses, movie nights, pub nights, raptors games, and more. Our Council was able to build a community that was a home away from home for hundreds of students. The amount of fun was unreal, unlike anything you will ever experience in your life. That's why I'm glad I chose York and got involved. It wasn't just the events friends, and parties that made the experience so worth it but also the once in a life time opportunities given to me as a student leader. I got to meet dozens of faculty members on a personal level and work with them on various projects. I was able to sit on committees that directly and indirectly benefited the lives of students. These were opportunities that I knew I wouldn't have at any other university. Man, student life is a wild ride.

0 comments:

Post a Comment